Like a relationship, a long-distance friendship can have problems. But if you're willing to put in the effort, you can still be close friends.
You and your best friend could be separated for a variety of reasons. Maybe they went to a distant school or their family moved. You can even find work thousands of kilometers away. Therefore, knowing how to maintain a friendship at a distance is important.
Can it really last? How strong does a friendship really have to be to survive such distances? It can be a little scary to think that your best friend could be taken away forever, but fear not. As long as you know how to keep the friendship alive, you'll be fine. [Read:what makes a good friend]
Friendships take a lot of time and effort.
Long-distance friendships are more work than local friendships, but that doesn't mean they're all work and no play. This is your friend and you love him. Keeping in touch and making time for each other without seeing each other physically should be fun.
Friendships aren't just these simple little things that we have in our lives. Our friendships are a big part of our happiness. You would feel very lonely without her, even if you had a partner. Friends are on another level.
But it does mean that they have to work much harder to maintain their friendship if they can't see each other often. You need to take steps to make sure you don't lose an amazing friend. [Read:18 Ways To Build Lasting Friendships]
Can a long-distance friendship work?
You may be wondering this if you have a friend who wants to move. A long distance friendship can work well.
Since you live so far away, you should take the time to catch up. Distance doesn't have to affect your friendship. Absence is exciting, so as long as you give this relationship the care and attention it deserves, it can still be golden.
Long distance friendships are known to be quite strong and can certainly thrive. [Read:Ways to break up with a boyfriend]
How to make a long distance friendship work
Making a long distance friendship work will be an adjustment. It will be different from your relationships with close friends. You can't just walk past them on the fly, but that doesn't mean your relationship should suffer.
It will take some trial and error to find what works best for you and your friend. They have to do a lot of things that you're not normally used to. Fortunately, we have all the advice you need to make a long-distance friendship last for years.
1. Write and call regularly
This is extremely important. You need to stay connected in the same way as before. Just because they live far away doesn't mean you should stop all forms of communication. In fact, you need to do more. Stay tuned and be sure to chat regularly.
Check how your days are going. Talk about your social, work and family life. Just because you're not face to face doesn't mean you shouldn't keep sharing the things you've always shared.
2. Become a pen pal
Your friend lives far away and you can no longer do the things you used to do to bond. Writing letters as a pen pal is a perfect way to do this!
It's definitely a bit slower than sending a long text, but handwritten letters can be much more touching and intimate. People love to receive things in the mail, especially letters from friends. Print some old photos and add those too.
You can connect and share deeper things as you type. It does not have the urgency of a text. It's more about sharing than going back and forth quickly. A letter is a great way to open up. Share secrets and talk about life. It will be nice to have those memories later. [Read:15 Things Good Friends Do]
3. Snapchat frequently
Snapchat is a fantastic way to communicate in short bursts that feel more connected. Even though they're half a world away, when you can see their faces, they feel like they're right next to you. It will help you feel close and connected to your best friend.
Upload photos of your food or when you cook your favorite food. Take some cute pet photos or show off your daily outfits.
4. Video chat
Another way to stay connected is through video chat. Calling and texting is fun, but it's not the same as talking in person. It's not exactly that, but it's the closest you can get when you're in a long-distance friendship.
You can have short video chats just to ask a question or get advice on what to wear on a date. You can also schedule longer chats and share a meal virtually. [Read:Using video chat and other ways to do remote work]
5. Watch movies on the same nights
This is to maintain a certain feeling of being with them. If you used to go to the movies a lot as friends, move on. You don't have to sit next to each other to see a movie on the same day. It really helps both of you feel like nothing has changed, even if you are far away.
If you both love a show, watch it during a video chat or just text during the commercial.
6. Send each other funny memes
For some reason, this helps friendships more than many other things. In our lives, not much happens that is worth a phone call or a video call.
This means that they may not talk as much as when they started seeing each other more. What they can do is send each other funny memes. You can chat remotely. If you don't have time to talk or just don't have much to talk about, sending a funny meme will show that you're thinking of them. [Read:48 funny and sarcastic things to send to your friends]
7. Talk about news and important events in the world.
You can't just sit around and hope your friendship never changes. If you have talked about these important things before, keep talking about them. It's important to maintain a strong emotional connection when you're in a long-distance friendship, and talking about sensitive topics will do just that.
You can strengthen your bond and really get to know each other better by discussing more difficult topics.
8. Actualize them in your life and vice versa
Even if it's something small and you don't think it's important, talk to them anyway. Because they lived closer to you, they could see and hear a lot about your life just by being there.
They will most likely be happy to know, no matter what. This is another thing that creates the illusion that you are still very close.
9. Remember funny things from the past
Think of all the good things to keep your friendship alive. This will not only make both of you very happy, but it will also make you strive to relive those times. When you have this motivation, you will work harder to keep your friendship strong.
Submit your previous photos that appear online. Tell your friend when you meet someone from your past. Sometimes you suppress certain memories because they are embarrassing, but remembering a friend allows you to look back and smile instead of being ashamed. [Read:50 nice things to say to your best friend to brighten her day]
10. Keep in touch with his family if you were close to them
If you could go to their parents' house and grab something from the fridge if they lived near you, do it. Sure, you might want to send her a courtesy message, but you still need to have a strong relationship with her family if she's done it before.
11. Take trips together
Visit them whenever you can. You can even plan a vacation and meet halfway there. Even if they live far away, you'll want to see them in person from time to time. This gives you time to catch up and normalize your relationship before you break up. [Read:Life lessons you will learn on a trip]
12. Don't waste too much time
Things get busy. Since they don't see each other, you can stop texting them for a few days. It happens, but try not to let too much time pass. So you walk away without realizing it. Even if you're just sending a funny meme or video, keep in touch.
13. Send gifts
You don't have to spend a lot of money, but it's really nice to send them little packages of care. If you still live in your hometown and they live further away, send them small gifts that are popular in your area. You can send them your sweater that they have always loved or even a book that you have been reading. [Read:Ways to get your best friend back]
14. Scheduling appointments
Plan some dates. You can easily lose your long distance friendship in the shuffle if you don't take your time. Schedule a nice long video call once a week. Prepare a meal together or order takeout and surprise yourself with something new and exciting.
15. Do everything you would do if you could see each other
Of course, this is only possible up to a point. The point is not to let things change just because one direction has changed. Send pictures, text about your relationships or call them drunk and tell them you love them. Make sure they know that just because you no longer have the same zip code won't change anything.
[File:Survival tips for any long distance relationship]
The truth is, maintaining a long-distance friendship is a lot like making a long-distance romantic relationship work. You need to actively do things every day to stay connected and strengthen your relationship.
Find things you can do together while apart.
Finding things to do together will help maintain a bond and can also be a form of quality time. Watch the same shows at the same time and have a conversation about them afterward. Start reading a book together. Stream a movie together while you video chat.
- Get together for virtual happy hour. ...
- Start a remote book club. ...
- Host a virtual game night. ...
- Travel the world together – virtually. ...
- Celebrate special occasions with a video. ...
- Go old school with snail mail. ...
- Binge-watch your favorite shows together.
- Ways to build trust in a long-distance relationship.
- Healthy communication.
- Have faith.
- Negative assumptions about your partner.
- Talk things out calmly.
- Be truthful.
- Plan your visit.
Distance can cause friendships to fade, which is natural when you spend less time with someone. It can also be hard to keep in touch since you have to make more of an effort to call and visit each other. And, with time zone differences, as well, timing can get tricky.What makes a friendship strong? ›
If you and your friend have trust, equality, compassion, honesty, and independence, you already have the foundation of a strong and healthy friendship. Even though it can be hard to recognize when a friendship is weak in some areas, it is always possible to improve yourself and your relationship with a friend.How do you keep distance from someone who likes you? ›
Don't be flirtatious.
- Don't laugh excessively at their jokes.
- Don't be touchy feely. ...
- Don't compliment them unless related to work or school.
Intimacy between friends, a.k.a. platonic intimacy, is basically what it sounds like: the intimacy you'd have with a partner, but without the sex or romance. It's “a shared vulnerability, a shared feeling of safety,” Francsique says.How do you make people want to be around you? ›
- Ask questions. I've noticed people who ask questions are often well-liked. ...
- Talk more, not less. ...
- Give your time…gratis. ...
- Listen better. ...
- Really and truly care. ...
- Admit it, you don't know everything. ...
- Go for the laugh, every time. ...
- Lighten up.
Stay connected as often as possible
Friendships will stay strongest if talking regularly becomes part of your routine, whether that means daily, weekly, or monthly. Text your friend about the little things, like the great new ramen place he'd love or the embarrassing story you know will make her snicker.
- Show Them You Like Them. It's okay to test the water. ...
- Find Common Interests. One of the simplest ways to be closer is to find activities and interests that you and your crush both like. ...
- Be a good listener. Make an effort to listen to what your crush likes.
Long-distance relationships require an extra level of thought and communication. Because of this, red flags can often be more difficult to identify in long-distance relationships. Reluctance to communicate, gaslighting, and frequent arguing can all be long-distance red flags.How to make a woman feel secure in a long distance relationship? ›
- Communicate as much (or as little) as you need to feel connected. ...
- “Be there” even when you can't actually be there. ...
- Remind your partner frequently what you love about your relationship. ...
- Forge a secure attachment by supporting each other's interests. ...
- Find a way to hang out together while apart.
- What are long-distance relationships?
- Communicate effectively in a long-distance relationship.
- Keep jealousy in check and work on building trust instead.
- Pick your battles wisely; you can't hug it out.
Mistrust is the one aspect which LDR are very prone to. Because of the physical distance between partners, they may find it difficult to trust each other completely. Due to the lack of trust, partners may start pulling apart mentally, causing more harm than physical distance.Can long-distance friendship turn into love? ›
Sure, long distance relationships aren't easy. But they're not impossible. In fact, starting your relationship long distance can help you get to know someone deeply and well. It can teach you patience and good communication skills, and lay a great foundation for a successful long-term relationship.Why do most long-distance relationships fail? ›
Things like not making an effort to travel, feeling sexually unsatisfied, arguing, and just the nature of growing apart definitely took their toll on the relationships that reportedly ended: The report found couples who survived through their long-distance phase spent twice as much money traveling as those whose long- ...What are the 6 habits that build lasting friendships? ›
The six keys, according to Beck, are accumulation, attention, intention, ritual, imagination, and grace. 1. Spending time together. Beck calls this “accumulation,” and she believes it is “the simplest and most obvious force that forms and sustains friendships."What are the 6 secrets of strong friendships? ›
Though every bond evolves in its own way, I have come to believe that there are six forces that help form friendships and maintain them through the years: accumulation, attention, intention, ritual, imagination, and grace.How do you know if someone loves you from a distance? ›
They respect you
If they truly love you, they will respect you and the things that matter to you, which can be anything from your dreams for the future or what you want in life. It's not enough to love someone. They must also respect who you are as a person in your absence if it's going to work out in the long run.
- Don't lead them on. It's nice when someone has a crush on you. ...
- Be kind, but clear. It's necessary to let your pal know you don't have feelings for them, but it's just as important to be sensitive about how you do it. ...
- Don't make it a big deal. ...
- Give them space.
Intimacy to a man is fully knowing your partner's likes, dislikes, weaknesses, and strengths and being intentional in considering these as you relate. Sometimes, men and intimacy are mistaken as love for sex. While sex is part of being intimate, it's more. It's about building a bond with someone over time.How do you build emotional intimacy with a friend? ›
Emotional intimacy is a two-way street. So when a partner, friend, or family member shares something vulnerable or difficult with you, show that you're there for them by responding with compassion or support. One of the best ways to do that: "Simply be present and listen," Stern says.What are the signs that people don't want you around? ›
- #1 You Put in Most of the Effort.
- #2 They Actively Avoid Connecting Deeply with You.
- #3 They don't ask about you.
- #4 They Stop Reaching Out or Making Plans.
- #5 They Regularly Cancel Plans.
- #6 They Make Excuses.
- #7 They're Always Busy.
- #8 They Don't Respond or Lack Enthusiasm in Responses.
- They lean in.
- They tilt their head as you speak (a sign of engagement).
- They smile at you.
- They make eye contact with you.
- They reach out and touch your arm, hand, back, or leg.
The absolute simplest way to get people to like you is to smile genuinely. People crave being around others that are fun and happy because it's contagious -- you'll make them feel good just by being present. Smiling is the first indicator (and the most obvious) that you are a person they probably want to be around.Do best friends text everyday? ›
Friendships differ, and so do texting habits between friends. There's no “normal” amount to text your friends. A lot of people text their closest friends every day. You might text other friends a few times a month.Is it necessary to talk everyday in a long distance relationship? ›
You might think talking every single day when you're in an LDR is a must. The truth is, experts say it's really not necessary and might actually be harmful to your relationship. "You don't need to be in constant communication," Davis says.Is it normal for friends to talk everyday? ›
You talk every day
It's not uncommon to have a friend you call every Friday or Saturday night when you're looking for something to do. If you find yourself talking to this friend nearly every day, though, there may be more to it. Can you imagine going to bed without talking to him at least once throughout the day?
- Smile. TODAY. ...
- Don't hide in the corner. ...
- Ask for his help. ...
- Talk about your hobbies. ...
- Don't dress for your girlfriends. ...
- Look him in the eye. ...
- Avoid the obvious. ...
- Go out alone or with one other friend.
- Signs a Shy Guy Likes You.
- Get to know him on a deeper level.
- Build a trusting relationship.
- Pause to let him talk.
- Make eye contact with him.
- Touch him on the arm or the shoulder.
- Give him some space.
- Ask him what his first impression of you was.
- Make a List of Your Goals. ...
- Ask About Their Physical, Mental, and Emotional Health. ...
- Talk About the Future. ...
- Discuss What Bothers You. ...
- Talk About Your Hardships. ...
- Ask Them What Makes Them Happy. ...
- Ask Them What Makes Them Grateful. ...
- Talk About Communication.
- Have Empathy. A number of traits and mental illnesses lead to a distant personality. ...
- Open Yourself Up. Some distant people struggle to share their feelings. ...
- Give Them Time. ...
- Be Frank. ...
- Pay attention to what works. ...
- Respect Your Differences.
- Waiting is important.
- Don't initiate conversations.
- Make the most of your time.
- Have a separate space.
- Respect his space.
- Hangout with friends.
- Give him glimpses of what he is missing.
- Surprise him.
- Take a long walk or do some other exercise.
- Take a hot soothing bath.
- Read an interesting book or magazine.
- Write in your personal journal.
- Call a friend and strike up a conversation.
- Establish expectations.
- Schedule in time together.
- Prioritize connecting, not just talking.
- Share your calendars.
- Honor each other's time.
- Be fully present when together.
- Share your accomplishments.
- Don't be afraid to be "extra"
- #1: Send Your Boyfriend a Lovebox.
- #2: Surprise Them With Their Fav Food Right at Their Door.
- #3: Give Him a Special Shoutout on Social Media.
- #4: Write Him a Sweet Letter.
- #5: Send Him a Good Morning Text Everyday.
- #6: Send Him a Care Package With His Favorite Things.
- Take time to reflect. ...
- Ask your friend about what happened. ...
- Don't take it personally. ...
- Don't gossip about your friend. ...
- Let it go. ...
- Do something fun together.